Saturday, February 21, 2009

Sick

I'm sick. Very sick. Temporarily, maybe, but I hope not. Not physically sick, per se - excluding my gimpy arm - but, rather, internally fed up.

And I'll tell you why.

I am sick of seeing churches that pamper their members more than they care for those in need. Working in the homeless program at the Veteran's Affairs Hospital in Jackson, MS has made me aware of almost every resource available to homeless people in the Jackson metro area. I am astounded by the number of churches that offer to help the homeless through one meal, one day a week, i.e. lunch on Tuesdays. How is one meal in one week going to help significantly relieve a homeless man or woman's plight of homelessness? How will this help alleviate the other needs in his or her life? How will relationship be built in that one time meeting each week? Will it be as deep, lasting relatinoships are formed and maintained on Sunday mornings at so many church congregations (sarcasm noted)? All that to say I'm sick. I wish that we, as the church in Jackson, MS - for I can not speak for everyone everywhere - need to step it up and change directions. We as a church are becoming so inwardly focused that we're about to implode (the direction I believe the traditional Western church is headed very quickly).

I'm not sure of the answer, but I know that change needs to take place. It most first begin in our hearts with Christ. It must then be in our soul (mind, will, and emotions) through the renewing of our minds and the putting off of the old flesh. Then the matter comes to the action plan of change. That's where I would like us to brainstorm.



I think this painting is interesting. Not sure of my thoughts on it, but defintiely interesting. What are your thoughts (on this related topic or painting)?

2 comments:

  1. I've been praying for you. Hope the arm is healing nicely...the heart will someday follow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a couple of homeless people as members of our church. They regularly take groups of people to the homeless hang-outs that only homeless people know about. Not, like, touristy groups. People with clothing and food to hand out while they talk to people. We don't invite them to come to us (we don't actually have a building, so that would be difficult)...my church goes where the people are.
    Have I mentioned before how much I love my church?

    ReplyDelete